Wednesday, September 8, 2021

RESEARCH: WHAT IS A TRAILER?

I have started further research into trailers using the FDA's Teaching Trailers online course, from which these resources come. 
I watched the trailer for Booksmart before considering the following questions about trailers in general. 

The marketing campaign for a film is the different ways in which the film’s ‘message’ is presented to potential audiences.

1. What do you think are the major elements of a film marketing campaign?
Using Black Panther as an example, there were many major elements which contributed to the success of the film's marketing campaign. Through convergence and synergy Black Panther was able to market itself through the use of widespread media. The major elements of the film marketing campaign consisted of posters, trailers and social media. Tying those three aspects together contributed to the success of Black Panther. As well as those three elements, other contributing factors to the success of the film was the website and merchandising. As Black Panther had the support of global conglomerate Disney, it was easy to spread the word through the use of big launch events and star appearances promoting the film.

2. Where might you expect to see each of the different parts of the marketing campaign?
I would expect to see the trailers on youtube, snapchat, instagram and before I go to see a movie. I would expect to see the posters by bus stops and on instagram adverts.

3. What factors make you want to go and see a film? How do you decide which films to see?

There are a few factors that make me want to go see a film. I first look at what genre the film is and if it is the type of movie I would listen to. I then look at the reviews from IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic because I found that they critique films fairly and similarly to me. I then look at the actors and directors to see if there are any names that I recognise. For example I really enjoy movies by Christopher Nolan therefore, if I see a movie directed by him then there is a high chance I will watch it.

1 comment:

PROMO PACK BRIEF

Matthew Heyns 1828 I worked with Sam De Bruin 1815, Finn Hanley 1824 and Ben Richardson 1853 Our brief was to make a promo package, consisti...